In the Khitai quickstart they introduced a skill I didn't realise that I had been missing: Mysticism
Use Mysticism when you conduct a mystical or religious rite. Use Mysticism when you recall knowledge about a magical tradition, creature or object.
this is as opposed to Scholarship:
Use Scholarship when you wax ecstatic about a certain subject matter, either from teachings or personal experience.
Use Scholarship when you demonstrate a mastery over a field of study or otherwise demonstrate your depth of knowledge. Use Scholarship when you consult your knowledge to fill in the details on a certain subject.
It strikes me that there are some Backgrounds out there already which are much more likely to have Mysticism than the Scholarship the had (or lacked!) Here are my proposed updated Backgrounds
- From the Core Book: Priest, Puritan, Mirabilis, Sorcier Porté, Zynys, Sorté Strega
- From Pirate Nations: Nganga, Mystai, Bohiti
- From Nations of Theah 1: Boticario, Sidhe Squire, Vala
- From Nations of THeah 2: Tura's Cursed
- From Crescent Empire: Alharis, Yol Seeker, Khahesh, Divine Lyrist
Do they seem like good fits to you? Are there any more?
I'm also prompted to look into whether any Backgrounds really ought to have Advantages that weren't published when the book they were in came out.