I'm playing around with some ideas to go along with Rob Donoghue's Expanded Ship Rules.
In a chase between two ships, what Opportunities might you offer either of the captains? Here's my list so far:
- Holding the Weather Gage: Your ship is upwind from its adversary, granting you an advantage.
- Favorable Wind: You catch the wind, increasing your speed.
- Into the Maelstrom: A fierce squall is sighting in the distance. If you can outrace the enemy ship, you can use it to discourage pursuit or to even the odds.
- Sandbars, Reefs, and Archipelagoes: The lookout spies a reef, sandbar, or a patchwork of shoals or even islands in the distance. If you can outrace the enemy ship, you can turn the depth of your enemy’s hull to your advantage, or hide in a secluded cove.
- Cut off Wind (pursuer only): By angling your ship and sails, you reduce the amount of wind available to your adversary, slowing them down. This applies only to the pursuer; you cannot race against the wind.